Canada is moving forward with a major reform to its hereditary citizenship law. The government is introducing a new law to abolish the limitation known as the “second-generation cut-off,” a restriction that prevented many Canadian citizens from passing on citizenship to their foreign-born children. Bill C-3 — An Act to Amend the Citizenship Act (2025) — received Royal Assent last week.
In a statement, the government said this step marks an important milestone toward making the Citizenship Act more inclusive, while maintaining the integrity of Canadian citizenship.
From now on, Canadians who were excluded under the old rule will have a fair and clear way to pass citizenship to their foreign-born or adopted children.
In a statement, the government said this step marks an important milestone toward making the Citizenship Act more inclusive, while maintaining the integrity of Canadian citizenship.
From now on, Canadians who were excluded under the old rule will have a fair and clear way to pass citizenship to their foreign-born or adopted children.
Who Will Be Eligible for Canadian Citizenship?
Once the new law takes effect, individuals born before the introduction of this law — and who would have been eligible for citizenship if the previous first-generation limit or other outdated provisions had not existed — will now be recognized as Canadian citizens.
In addition, a Canadian parent born or adopted abroad will be able to pass citizenship to their foreign-born or adopted child, if they can demonstrate a meaningful and visible connection to Canada, and if the child is born or adopted on or after the date the law comes into force.
The government said, “This approach ensures fairness for families and reinforces the principle that hereditary citizenship should be based on a genuine and demonstrable connection to Canada.”
In addition, a Canadian parent born or adopted abroad will be able to pass citizenship to their foreign-born or adopted child, if they can demonstrate a meaningful and visible connection to Canada, and if the child is born or adopted on or after the date the law comes into force.
The government said, “This approach ensures fairness for families and reinforces the principle that hereditary citizenship should be based on a genuine and demonstrable connection to Canada.”
When Will the Law Come Into Effect?
The government stated that the bill will come into force on a date set by Order-in-Council, which will be publicly announced later. Until then, interim measures will remain in place for individuals affected by the first-generation cut-off.
Canada’s Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Lena Metlege Diab, said, “Bill C-3 will resolve long-standing issues in our citizenship laws and restore fairness for families with foreign-born or adopted children. It will grant citizenship to people who were previously excluded and establish clear rules aligned with modern family structures.”
“These changes will strengthen and protect Canadian citizenship.”
What Was the Old Law?
The first-generation limit on hereditary Canadian citizenship was introduced in 2009. Under this rule, a child born or adopted outside Canada would not receive citizenship if their Canadian parent was also born or adopted outside Canada.
This restriction caused serious problems for many Canadians with multinational backgrounds whose children were born abroad.
On December 19, 2023, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice ruled that key sections of the Citizenship Act related to the first-generation limit were unconstitutional.
The Canadian government did not appeal the decision, stating that the law had produced “unacceptable” outcomes for the children of Canadians born abroad.
In an interview with news agency PTI, Don Chapman, founder of “Lost Canadians,” said:
“By updating the Citizenship Act to reflect the global mobility of modern Canadian families, the government has made citizenship acquisition more fair and reasonable.”
**Source: NDTV
This restriction caused serious problems for many Canadians with multinational backgrounds whose children were born abroad.
On December 19, 2023, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice ruled that key sections of the Citizenship Act related to the first-generation limit were unconstitutional.
The Canadian government did not appeal the decision, stating that the law had produced “unacceptable” outcomes for the children of Canadians born abroad.
In an interview with news agency PTI, Don Chapman, founder of “Lost Canadians,” said:
“By updating the Citizenship Act to reflect the global mobility of modern Canadian families, the government has made citizenship acquisition more fair and reasonable.”
**Source: NDTV